Friday, October 21, 2016

When My Baby Brother Was Born

When I was in 5th grade, we had to do the ice bucket challenge for a showcase we had every Thursday instead of recess. I always hated it. We had to do the challenge in 30 degree weather. I was freezing.
My mom had come to pick me up because it was after school when we did it. She was pretty much super mom this summer. She had to take my brother to summer school, my sister to preschool camp, and my cousins and I to our summer camp in very hot weather while pregnant. That day, she told me that the baby was going to be born on Wednesday (it was Monday at the time). She also told my dad that my brother would be born on Tuesday so my dad wouldn’t be late. I was so excited! We already knew that my new brother’s name would be Owen. We called him that for months.
When Wednesday finally came, I was really impatient. My mom had left at 6:00, so we didn’t get to see her that morning. I kept texting her all day to see if Owen was born yet. It got to the point where my teacher had to take my phone away.
When I got home from school that day, I just gave up. I did my homework, no baby. I played on my IPad, still no baby. I fell asleep, STILL NO BABY.
Then, at last, my dad woke me up at midnight and showed me a picture of Owen. I was so excited! It was kinda hard to believe I had a new baby brother. My little sister Abby seemed excited to finally be a big sister, and my little brother Alex was excited to have a brother.
The days went by and were all pretty normal. We could only see pictures of Owen because they didn’t allow kids under eighteen to visit at the hospital because of a disease that I can’t remember the name of or what it does. It was apparently pretty bad. Anyway, three days after Owen was born, my dad picked Alex and I up from school to see him. He was so cute! But he cried ALL THE TIME.

That was all about 2 years ago. Owen is two and is starting to finally speak full sentences. He is still cute. Maybe even cuter.



-Queen Em

No comments:

Post a Comment